« Revealing Ancestral Central America, a symposium at the museum in Washington, Sunday, September 8, 2013 | Main | Ask a Curator Day 2013: Wednesday, September 18 »

September 12, 2013

Natalie Standingontherock Proctor, Tribal Chairwoman, Wild Turkey Clan, Cedarville Band of Piscataway Conoy

In the interview series Meet Native America, the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian invites tribal leaders, cultural figures, and other interesting and accomplished Native individuals to introduce themselves and say a little about their lives and work. Together, their responses illustrate the diversity of the indigenous communities of the Western Hemisphere, as well as their shared concerns, and offer insights beyond what’s in the news to the ideas and experiences of Native peoples today. —Dennis Zotigh, NMAI 

Please introduce yourself with your name and title.

Natalie Standingontherock Proctor, tribal chairwoman, Wild Turkey Clan, Cedarville Band of Piscataway Conoy.

What responsibilities do you have in your community?

I'm the liaison responsible for local and state programs. I oversee and implement cultural, agricultural, health, and education initiatives and projects. I collaborate with tribal members to determine goals and missions. I meet with political and legislative members to foster and build relationships that help promote tribal needs and concerns and help maintain longstanding community partnerships. 

How did your life experience prepare you to lead?

NStandingontherock 1
Natalie StandingontherockProctor, tribal chairwoman, Wild Turkey Clan, Cedarville Band of Piscataway Conoy. Annapolis, Maryland, January 2012. 

My parents often talked about tribal activities and discussed the problems of their times, especially the problems brought upon us. I did not grow up on a recognized reservation, but lived in a community of solely Native people. I began school in an all-white school, and it was socially and culturally difficult. I could not wait to get home to the safety of my community.

We did so much together in sharing our gardens, dividing the meat, fishing, and the like. My father included us in all the work. When it came to tribal affairs, I never thought much about being on the council or in a leadership role, but took much pride in being behind the scenes, working to see the elders' missions and goals accomplished. I enjoyed working with the elders and was willing to help wherever help was needed. While I did not plan to lead, it has become my life's passion and work.

Who inspired you as a mentor?

I was inspired by the Piscataway elders. I found true inspiration in my father, Pete, and my grandmother, Gladys Keeperofthepipe, who is also our current Clan Mother. I would listen to the stories of their time and could feel the pain of their struggles as I experienced my own. I could see how hard they were working to make a difference for the future generations.

Where is your community located?
Where are your people originally from?

The Piscataway's original territory covered what became colonial Maryland, which included present-day Washington, D.C., parts of Virginia—Fairfax County, Loudon County, etc.—and West Virginia, and some of Pennsylvania. The majority of Piscataway people now live in Washington and the southern part of Maryland, in the counties of Prince George and Charles. 

What is a significant point in history from your tribe that you would like to share?

NStandingontherock2a
Tribalofficials and the governor of Maryland at the signing of executive orders recognizing the Maryland Indian status of the Piscataway Nation and Piscataway Conoy Tribe. From left to right: Natalie Standingontherock Proctor, tribal chair of the Cedarville Band of Piscataway Indians; Mervin Savoy, tribal chair of the Piscataway Conoy Confederacy and Sub-tribes; Martin O'Malley, governor of Maryland; Chief Billy Tayac, Piscataway Indian Nation. 
Annapolis, Maryland, January 2012. 

When trying to choose a specific point in history, my mind keeps returning instead to a defining span of time that is painful and unique to our Eastern Indian populations, who were the first encroached upon. For those Indigenous people who managed to survive the first few hundred years of invasion and the stripping of land, resources, and culture, a law was passed that essentially enabled the stripping of our identity. The law allowed officials to "sight identify" children—meaning an official looking at you could identify you as what he perceived you to be, and that identity was issued on birth certificates and other records.

Otherwise stated, every effort was made to ensure that on paper Piscataway Indians did not exist. Some historical sources state that the Piscataway just left. This is why we, and other Eastern tribes, do not have reservation lands. Why would a nonexistent people need land?

From the mid 1700s until just last year, we were an unrecognized people. But we were here all the while.

The Piscataway Conoy Tribe and the Piscataway Indian Nation received official recognition through an Executive Order by Governor Martin O'Malley in January of 2012. 

Approximately how many members are in the Picataway Conoy Tribe? What are the criteria to become a member?

We have approximately 1,800 enrolled members, of whom 50 percent are over the age of 18.

We are a maternal tribe. In order to be an enrolled member, your mother or grandmother must be enrolled. The minimum [blood] quantum to qualify for enrollment is one-quarter. 

Is your language still spoken on your homelands?

Our language is not spoken; we speak English. Recent government studies find that approximately 85 percent of Native Americans are not lingual in their tribal languages. The Piscataway people are working toward the restoration of our language.

What economic enterprises do the Piscataway Conoy own?

The tribe currently has no economic enterprises. Some members of the tribe do own and operate their own Native-based businesses. If people want to ask in the comments section, I'd be happy to refer them to businesses owned by our tribal members.

What attractions are available for visitors on your land?

The Piscataway people have a museum. The museum is open for school tours Monday through Friday by appointment, and on the fourth Sunday of the month it is open to the general public. The museum is currently fundraising to support rebuilding efforts and is featured on our website

What annual events does the tribe sponsor?

We will be celebrating the 33rd anniversary of our tribal powwow the first weekend in June, of 2014. We welcome everybody to attend and celebrate with us. We also host many educational, cultural, health, and agricultural events, also found on our website under the Events heading.

What message would you like to share with the youth of your community?

Humans and the world are continuously evolving. Nothing stays the same. Try to live in the present, not the future or the past.

Thank you. 

To read other interviews in this series, click on the banner below. 

Meet-native-america

From left to right: Representative Ponka-We Victors (Tohono O’odham/Southern Ponca) taking the oath of office in the Kansas House of Representatives; photo courtesy of Kansas Rep. Scott Schwab. Bird Runningwater (Cheyenne/Mescalero Apache) at the Sundance Film Festival; photo courtesy of WireImage. Sergeant Debra Mooney (Choctaw) at the powwow in Al Taqaddum Air Force Base, Iraq, 2004; photo courtesy of Sgt. Debra Mooney. Councilman Jonathan Perry (Wampanoag) in traditional clothing; photo courtesy of Jonathan Perry. Suzan Shown Harjo (Cheyenne/Hodulgee Muscogee) at Blackhorse et al. v. Pro Football, Inc., press conference, U.S. Patent and Trade Office, February 7, 2013; photo courtesy of Mary Phillips.

All images used with permission. 

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a01156f5f4ba1970b019aff58287e970d

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Natalie Standingontherock Proctor, Tribal Chairwoman, Wild Turkey Clan, Cedarville Band of Piscataway Conoy:

I normally like the interviews on NMAI, but this one left me with a few questions. I grew up in the mountains of Western Maryland, know about the Earth, plant uses, making a fire, respect for the world around you, etc. And I've spent a lot of effort tracking down Piscataway tribal history. While I only found out recently, that is my heritage (provable by state archives, church records and my family names). From what I've read, I don't really see a singular effort over time to wipe a specific group off the map. I'd put more weight behind things like stealing land/resources, collective ignorance, remote living, economic disenfranchisement, inaccessible information and social/legal prejudice. Eastern tribes mixed with Europeans and Africans, and the Piscataway were no different. Together, they add up to some groups disappearing from general public view.

I also understand that many of the Eastern tribes can use help with economic development, education, historical documentation, etc. But with such a restrictive blood quantum and recent family ties among the Piscataway Conoy, as stated, why should I bother supporting or doing anything? (It's not about benefits. Don't need'em, can't see how I would.) Reading the interview, I kinda feel sidelined and like I should do something else with my time.

Ed,

Thank you for your heartfelt comment. Citizenship going forward is an issue for many Native nations and families. The museum's symposium on the question—Quantum Leap: Does "Indian Blood" Still Matter?—can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJJzTFwdfA.

Cultural specialist Dennis Zotigh has also written on the subject: http://blog.nmai.si.edu/main/2011/09/will-current-blood-quantum-membership-requirements-make-american-indians-extinct.html

Please continue to pursue your family's history and to add your voice to this complicated discussion. Best regards.

Do they actually wear the animal skin as shown in the first image?