« Navajo Film "The Rocket Boy" Headed to Sundance! | Main | In Memory of Dr. Helen Maynor Scheirbeck »

December 20, 2010

VIRTUAL TOUR: "Crux (as seen from those who sleep on the surface of the Earth under the night sky)"

Artist Brian Jungen (Dunne-za First Nations/Swiss-Canadian) transforms familiar consumer goods into unexpected objects that question globalization, pop culture, museums, and the commodification of Native culture.

Jungen first came to prominence with Prototypes for New Understandings (1998-2005), for which he fashioned Nike footwear into masks that suggested Northwest Coast iconography. Later works have included a pod of whales made from plastic chairs, totem poles made from golf bags, and a massive basketball court made from 224 sewing tables. 

Created on Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbor for the 2008 Sydney Biennale, Jungen's piece Crux depicts animals native to Australia which figure prominently in the constellations defined by Indigenous Australians: a crocodile, an emu, a shark, a possum, and a sea eagle. Crux is the formal name for the constellation commonly known as the Southern Cross. The mobile suggests themes of displacement and disorientation, lost luggage, and the question of who has the right to name the stars.

See Crux on display in the Potomac Atrium of the National Museum of the American Indian.

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a01156f5f4ba1970b0148c6e88ff1970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference VIRTUAL TOUR: "Crux (as seen from those who sleep on the surface of the Earth under the night sky)":

I found the artwork with glass amazing. To take glass and make such a beautiful piece of art is really amazing. It sure seems unfair how the American Indians were treated. A true black mark in American History. Thanks for the great information, really enjoyed it.

I like Brian Jungen, he's great Artist.

I like the work of Brian Jungen. Thanks for the article and the video.

Brian Jungen's idea of Crux is really brilliant. He's a real artist!

Wow, you might say that the technology is very good! Photo, so beautiful, very clear, wish you good luck, create the future together!

Brian Jungen is a great artists, I love his work. Thanks for the video.

Brian Jungen is a true artist of immense creativity. I am still literally out of words for his glass creations. Thanks for posting this video !

Hi Molly,

Some people's minds are truly extraordinary. Jungen's work is beyond impressive.

In the Smithsonian Art Museum in D.C., there is a giant portrait of a woman... the whole thing done in black ink and thumb prints!

I also saw a gentleman who carved out all but a needle-thin skeleton of ostrich egg shells, leaving an almost oval snowflake effect.

I personally have an infrared camera that I've been using in a pretty unusual way to produce exotic art, but I'll save that for another discussion.

Outstanding post. I really appreciate you sharing it, Molly.

Take care.

You're an awesome blogger, I give you that. Keep up the good work.

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would really benefit from some of the information you present here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks!

The museum would be delighted if you reposted from this blog. Thanks in advance for giving the author the proper credit and for linking back to NMAI. All the best with your blog.

Great video and extraondiary artist!! loved the glass one
Lindy

I’m glad to know there are still writers out there that can create good
thought-provoking content. I really like this article and the writer’s unique point of view.There’s a lot of good information here.

It is really fantastic article.This video is superb.

Brian Jungen's idea of Crux is really brilliant. He's a great artist!

Now this is unbelievably amazing.