« Telling the Story: Illuminating Native Heritage through Photography | Main | Details, details »

December 07, 2009

An Infinity of Nations

137198_000_c01_20071221_ps
In October 2010, a spectacular permanent exhibition of 700 works of art from throughout Native North, Central and South America will open at the Heye Center in New York.  Infinity of Nations: Art and History in the Collections of the National Museum of the American Indian will demonstrate the great depth of the museum’s collections and explore the historic importance of many of these magnificent objects. 

More than forty Native historians and community members have collaborated with the museum to interpret highlighted objects, including ten works that will serve as focal points. These key pieces will demonstrate the degree to which Native America was interconnected before European peoples arrived and reveal how the visual arts were often important vehicles in this exchange. 

Above: 

Inuit tuilli or woman’s inner parka, ca. 1925, Nunavut.This finely crafted and elaborately beaded Inuit tuilli or woman’s inner parka, was made from caribou skin for the mother of a newborn baby. –The mother keeps her baby protected from the harsh Arctic weather in the warmth of her parka by carrying the baby in a special carrying pouch at the back of the parka. With the intensification of European exploration and trade in the Arctic in the 19th century, brightly colored glass beads, referred to as sapangat ("precious stones"), became more widely available and were used elaborately to decorate tuilli. This Inuit tuilli is the focal point for the Arctic region.

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a01156f5f4ba1970b0120a723ef7b970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference An Infinity of Nations :

That's a beautiful piece, I can't wait to travel to New York and see the exhibition. My son and I recently visited the Burke Museum in Seattle (http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/) and he loved the costumes.

Thanks, Randall. The exhibition opens this fall and we plan to publish more blog posts about its development soon!

I liked the piece too.Its very beautiful.I can't make it too New York,is there any way to watch exhibition may be like online?

There will be an online version of the exhibition -- as well as a publication -- closer to premiere on October 23!

That is a beautiful tribe cloth. Thanks for the descriptive text on it. Amazing how they use it for new moms and their babies.

The posting is incredibly marvelous. You analyse in your round.I will go on to interest your other marvelous posts. I like this form of post quite a great deal.

I hear that there is an online version of this exhibition coming in the next few days - looking forward to it as Native American history is my hobby.

Fascinating! Reminds me how similar native cultures are all throughout the world. I am a native of north-east India on the border with Myanmar. I am from a tribe called "Paite". We are today about 45,000 in number. We too have costumes that are handmade in the villages that still exists. And the use of color and threads are so similar although the pattern differs a bit.

Wow!!that's a beautiful piece of costume, I wish I could make it to New York and see the exhibition. But I just bought a house and I'm broke till next year. However, you made my day with such a constructive piece of information. Keep the hard work...
Best Regards

I was enchanted by the Inuit tuilli and happy to find that there is many objects to see like this is the Burke Museum in Seattle. I will be traveling to Seattle and on to British Columbia the beginning of May. I will definitely go to the Burke Museum. Are there any places in British Columbia I should also go to?

Nice blog.
Very nice picture. I love all the thing report indians.
Thank you

I absolutely love the Indians. I try to incorporate Indian art into my designs.

Cheers

Suheiwa

"Inuit tuilli or woman’s inner parka... This finely crafted and elaborately beaded Inuit tuilli or woman’s inner parka, was made from caribou skin for the mother of a newborn baby." If I can buy this anywhere I would still use it for my baby to use during the harsh cold weather. I'm also into all sorts of costumes, but one in particular I'm currently loving are fighter costumes.

that's a cool mother's parka..

Thanks for the descriptive text on it. Amazing how they use it for new moms and their babies. Somehow I will go to the Burke Museum.