« Intern Discussion Series by Naomi Bishop | Main | Barcode Project »

July 23, 2009

Summer Project in D.C. by Naomi Bishop

Naomi Bishop in Archives and Repat

This summer I am interning at the NMAI (National Museum of the American Indian) in D.C. I am working in the Repatriation department, however, my supervisor is the head archivist for NMAI, Jennifer O'Neal.

The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), a Federal law passed in 1990, provides a process for museums and Federal agencies to return certain Native American cultural items -- human remains, funerary objects, sacred objects, and objects of cultural patrimony - to lineal descendants, culturally affiliated Indian tribes, and Native Hawaiian organizations.

My job is to organize internal records relating to Repatriation Cases at NMAI since 1990. I go through boxes of files and determine what records and documents are important for further research. I am assisting in the development and organization of the internal records of the museum’s Repatriation Office. I conduct detailed inventories of historical records, review files for duplicate records, and organize records to assist with the future structure of incoming records. My daily tasks also include: appraisal, arrangement, description, and preservation of a series of textual records within the Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation collection, and the National Congress of the American Indian (NCAI) collection.

Today was my first full day on the job going through boxes of records. It's interesting going through the cases and reviewing all the research documents. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am getting some great on-the-job archives experience.

by Naomi Bishop

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a01156f5f4ba1970b0115713581e7970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Summer Project in D.C. by Naomi Bishop:

Great work Naomi, we look forward to hearing from you in your endevours.

keep us up to date

Hey Kevin great post. My wife is 1/4 Mohawk Indian and her Grandfather was full blood Mohawk and lived on the Tyendanaga Reservation in Canada. I love to learn more about the Indian culture. The museum would be really cool to visit some time. Thanks again for your post.

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

Thanks Naomi. Lots of Cherokee in my family line.