« T Dolls | Main | Native American School Band Rocks the Oldies–and the Ancients »

May 13, 2009

Ramp It Up: Skateboard Culture in Native America

Members of the 4 Wheel Warpony skate team (White Mountain Apache). Photo courtesy of Dustinn Craig (White Mountain Apache/Navajo), 2008.

June 12, 2009–November 1, 2009
NMAI on the National Mall, Washington, DC

Ramp it Up celebrates the vibrancy, creativity, and controversy of American Indian skate culture. Skateboarding combines demanding physical exertion with design, graphic art, filmmaking, and music to produce a unique and dynamic culture. One of the most popular sports on Indian reservations, skateboarding has inspired American Indian and Native Hawaiian communities to host skateboard competitions and build skate parks to encourage their youth. Native entrepreneurs own skateboard companies and sponsor community-based skate teams. Native artists and filmmakers, inspired by their skating experiences, credit the sport with teaching them a successful work ethic. The exhibition features rare and archival photographs and film of Native skaters as well as skatedecks from Native companies and contemporary artists.

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a01156f5f4ba1970b01157084f4c0970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ramp It Up: Skateboard Culture in Native America:

I find this very interesting. I grew up when the skate board culture was reaching it's popularity in the early 80's. It at the time was a white kid suburban type thing ofcourse some of us joined in. It is now a very popular past time. I enjoy it. I however just don't see it as part of our culture. I think there are many other things that our youth could focus on that could keeped them focused our give them a better work ethic. Maybe learning some of and reviving some of the traditional ways.

Shoshone

Young people always have taken the things they come in contact with and changed them to fit their world view. Horse was a big dog for the People brought over by new immigrants, and yet Horse became part of the Way. Young people who find a vehicle that helps galvanize their identity should never be diminished or ignored, particularly when it empowers them to grow and build themselves on a good road as this exhibit shows.

Any activity that keeps our youth not in front of the TV is excellent. Skateboard is much of our culture now then any other recreational sport.

Now for us "old" guys who grew up in the 80s skating, but are now too lazy to push, they've got electric skateboards.
http://www.e-glide.com

I think skateboarding is unlike any other activity because it promotes a positive lifestyle that can be applied to any group, ethnicity, or nationality. Having been raised here but born elsewhere I always struggled to reconcile the 2 world's as I could only assume Native Americans do on a much deeper level. Skateboarding, I believe, acts as a vehicle to understand yourself first, then have the strength to go back and understand your past, so you can shape the future. Skateboarding saves the world!

This is so rad. Applying art and culture into a sport that teens are stoked on is something very rare these days. It's kinda like the tahoe paddle fest for peoples on the west coast. What are the names of the artists and companies? I'm sure a skate magazine such as thrasher or transworld would love to hear about this and get these kids some promo. Thanks NMAI for covering this!

I used to skateboarding when i was in college.Me and my friends used to do skateboarding in weekends.I thank you for this article, you brought back my memories.

In regard of Shoshone, Skateboarding requires an incredible amount of focus. It also requires a huge commitment of time to be just average. Anyone that skateboards, has to know commitment and persistence very well. I do believe that there are values that are learned from skateboarding.

This reminds me of this time when I was 15 and skateboarding. I tried to do a trick of a picnic table, the board went straight down and I landed on top of it. Let me tell you this was the worst bruise I have ever had in my entire life. LOL

Do you weblinks to the artists, both those who may have documented the work and those creating the work?

I used to skateboard when I was in college. Me and my friends used to do skateboarding on weekends.I thank you for this article, you brought back my memories.

Hi people, all man's situations have their ups and downs.

Keeping kids busy with a sport activity they like is important for their health and to keep them away from troubles (drugs, street gangs...)

Thanks for sharing.

Skateboarding is something kids really enjoy and I think this is really important. But the kids need to realize how important it is to have their helmets on.

Wow...I've never heard of native american skateboarders...this is news to me....interesting article.

Skateboarding is great for kids. Our localpark has recently been renovated and now has a complete skate area. It gives the kids something to do. They can use their energy in a positive way.
We sell products to a lot of skateboarders and think these guys really love what they do.

Interesting culture Skateboarding is. It is not just a habit anymore :)

I am from Brazil and we have a nice ramp built in the middle of amazon jungle, where native people from there used to skate, but it is so hard to get skateboard parts that they quit skating.

Neto

This is a great project for indigenous Indie filmmakers to follow up. We will make sure our community promotes the work.

Thanks!

Dingi Ntuli

Kids and adults enjoy skatboarding. We really need a skatepark here but the local council hate yet to begin work. It was agreed that our park would be open this year but it's not looking too good at this point!

Well done. There is absolutely no doubt that active involvement of sport, in all its forms, can be a positive influence on all involved - both those who are actively involved as well as those that support them.
Daryl

Great to hear and see that the sport of skateboarding is inspiring and helping these young people of two great cultures.

Golfing News

hi, i am Tony.
Discovered this site when I was browsing for material for our webpage, clearly it’s not all relative however its interesting how you can reach a web site accidentally and find yourself looking through something completely different but just as helpful. I am inclined to get distracted a quite a lot this way.

Wow it just goes to show how small minded people are (myself included) that would never even have entertained the thought of native americans doing something that is so common and that so many of us enjoy... great post :)

Skateboarding is a great way to not only express yourself but also meeting new like minded friends and having a great time. Im a skater from the 70% from way back with the old plastic board and wheels but now im all about my nike sb trainers and plywood boards. How times have changed.

thanks for sharing this great article

Interesting article, very educative and mind opening.

that's a really cool idea, never thought skate boarding could be an effective cultural tool but obviously it can...

I had no idea that Native Americans were into skateboarding. It is nice to hear that they are doing something positive and constructive as youth. Hopefully we will see some of them on ESPN one day.

Hey there i think thats a great idea we need more skate parks everywhere but especially in places were it could not just motivate people to skate but to motivate and show that anyone can accomplish anything they set there minds to whether it be getting good at skateboarding or by proving to themselves that it was by getting better at a really hard sport to get the hang of thank you so much
henry james

Interesting article,
Honestly havent heard about skating on this level,
but it could create lots of fun and joy.

This looks like incredible fun for the kids, and anything interactive is sure to be a hit with young people. Skateboarding is a great sport to become involved in.

Thanks for this nice post